"I wanna hang a map of the world at my house. Then I wanna stick pins in the locations that I`ve traveled to.
...But first I have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won`t fall down."
-Mitch Hedberg

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Piha and the Black Sand Sprint

Our first stop on the roadtrip is Piha – the famous black sand beach renowned for big surf, and the hottest. sand. ever.

Home to the “black sand sprint” – a 100m dash to the ocean over burning black sand – Piha is a fun day-trip just an hour west of Auckland.



"Black Sand Sprint"

We also stumbled upon the 2010 Junior World Surf Championships with grommets (little surfer dudes) ripping hard enough to shame the best adults Stateside. France represented big with flags flying during most heats amidst teams from Japan, Argentina, Italy, Australia, Indonesia, Hawaii, the UK, Mexico, and more. The comp was a great look into the strong surf culture of New Zealand, which often gets overshadowed by Australia.

I’m stoked to buy a surfboard. Heaps stoked. Stoked as.

For more on information on Piha, check out my article on Helium.com - Piha Travel Guide.

Click here to view our Piha Photo Album.

No comments:

Post a Comment