"I wanna hang a map of the world at my house. Then I wanna stick pins in the locations that I`ve traveled to.
...But first I have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won`t fall down."
-Mitch Hedberg

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Travel Bug Bites

Carolyn here, reporting live with my first special-interest post! I'm half of this talented twosome some call "Carolorno"…or was it "Fornolyn"..."Carno"? It just doesn’t roll off the tongue like "Shiana"…

Anyway, my contributions to this bodacious blogging duo are mostly behind the scenes, so I wanted to take this chance to jump out front and say hello. Also, don’t be afraid to show us some love by leaving comments! We wanna know what you love about the blog, what you can’t stand, and what you want more of (please say knock knock jokes). If you have no opinion, we love you anyway and want to know what you had for breakfast.

But the real reason I’m writing today is to tell you about insects, AND HOW THEY ARE THE MOST EVIL THING IN NEW ZEALAND EVER EVER EVER EVER.

I grew up in the muggy South, so I’m no stranger to mosquitos. In Auckland, we breezed past the bug repellant aisle when we were loading up Flash – bug spray is for wimps and DEET can kill you, right?

So wrong. A few weeks of beach-hopping and a few thousand bug bites later, we learned our lesson. Maybe we’re spoiled city slickers from New York, but it felt like these Northland mosquitos swarmed twice as hard and bit twice as often as those in the States. And when the mozzies were sleeping during the day, we were devoured by sandflies, a New Zealand specialty. The sandfly is a nasty little bugger because he looks like a harmless gnat to the untrained eye, but up close, his true, evil identity is revealed! Some of their bites are hard enough to draw blood.
We’ve also had bad luck with bees and wasps. I got stung while I was driving on the highway. The angry little wasp bounced off the sideview mirror, down the back of my pants, and stung me 3 times in the butt before I could pull over and jump out of the van (just like in Tommy Boy). Shawn's bee attack was more traditional. He got stung in the face.

When we went through Auckland again we spent almost $100 NZ on the war against bugs. We bought itch creams for the bites we already had, spray repellant to drench our skin and clothes (80% DEET yo!), and a Raid mozzie lantern with smoke that kills every bug in a 10 foot radius. Consider yourself warned - this was not an overreaction.

9 comments:

  1. That one even has sunscreen!

    -Shaun

    ReplyDelete
  2. see how easy i made it for you to comment now? thank you and you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had blueberry pancakes for breakfast! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahah love the post and the bugs are nasty in NZ! While in Queenstown at night they pop out of nowhere and are everywhere but Auckland is where i got stung a million times and couldnt sleep as i heard those fuckers flying by my ear every second! A totally beware of sand flys! A girl on Fraser island with us got attacked by those fuckers and her leg got infected from poping the blister and it looked like herpes on her legs....not sexy! Keep up the updating and hope you two are still having a blast! For breakfest I had a beer.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are SOOO my inspiration. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for starting this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey guys its brooke here. Love the blogging thanks for giving us all a glimpse into your life - kiwi style. We miss you guys/ please keep the blogging coming hehhe. Love the way you both write you definately have a God givien talent. Luv you guys and looking forward to playing mexican train w you two again. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bushman and Aerogaurd...the way forward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. maybe you should just embrace it & make designer mosquito net clothes. those will keep them buggers off of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for commenting everyone! And Brooke - Bushman is the BOMB.

    ReplyDelete